Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Too simple to be this good...

So...blog post #2 and I've already broken an unwritten blogging "rule" (Section 34 page 12 Rule #...Just kidding!) An amazing blogger at confessionsofacookbookqueen.blogspot.com told me that it is important to blog often. I thought it wouldn't be difficult since I am always making something yummy or finding some interesting place. Yeah...so far...not so good. I ended up baking 3 different times this weekend and remembered to take photos once. I even had a mini road trip with some friends and the camera never emerged from my purse! Oh, I also re-decorated my apartment for winter and forgot to take pictures of the things I made. (Does it count if I kept telling myself to take pictures?) I am hoping to get the blogging mindset ingrained (soon) so I can be more consistent with my posts. Just be patient with me and I'll get the hang of it soon. However, the recipe that we'll be talking about today is worth the wait.

We all have a few quirks and some of us have more than others. They are the things that make us different and add a little bit of pizazz to your personality! At least I tell myself that since I have so many quirks. One of my quirks is what season certain foods should be eaten. For instance...Pumpkin rolls have a definite "season" to be made in. I only want to eat/make pumpkin roll in the fall and at Christmas. The idea of eating one in the spring is not appealing to me. There is an amazing lemon, feta, chicken bake (I'll have to make that for you sometime)I absolutely love, but I only want it in the summer. I'm sure you get my point. Apple pie is another item that I believe(d) belongs(ed) in the summer/fall. That belief was shot down when I came across a recipe for a Chocolate and Caramel Apple Pie Galette. I could pretty much eat the whole thing and feel no regret for not sharing it. However, I would regret it when I met my treadmill the next day!

I found the recipe at http://picky-palate.com. This website has become a resource for my weekly recipe searches. Without further ado here is the recipe that will revolutionize Apple pie. The best part is how incredibly EASY it is to make!


Chocolate and Caramel Apple Pie Galette


3 Tablespoons butter
2 apples of choice peeled and diced (Granny Smith work great)
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 roll pie dough
5-10 Rolo chocolate caramels, unwrapped and quartered (depends on how much caramely goodness you want)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt butter in a med. saucepan over med. heat. When the butter is melted add diced apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until softened.

Roll out pie dough and pour cooked apples in center of dough. Leave a 1 1/2 inch border around edges. Top with quartered Rolo’s then take edges of pie dough and fold over to create a pleated edge.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pie edges are golden brown. Remove and let cool.
*I prefer it warm*

If you are going to transfer it to a plate wait for it to cool completely or bake it on a cookie sheet with no sides. It can be very difficult to remove while warm. (been there...done that) :)

Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment